The Edge Effect

Monday, May 29, 2006

Peachy


I've had a nasty cold for the past couple of days. It actually started while I was in Illinois visiting Christina (nice how things work out like that, huh?), but it hit peak cruddy-feeling yesterday. Being the smart human that I am, I figured that I would mow the lawn and do some yard work at the new house rather than rest and get well.

Anyway, part of that yardwork involved going to the Produce Station to get some bedding plants. While I was there I bought two peaches, a white one and a regular (yellow?) one. The white one was unfortunately green, but the yellow one was fantastic! Maybe it's because I'm only eating the food in our apartment right now so I haven't had a fresh fruit or veggie for weeks. But even the hard, green peach had a wonderful summertime taste to it. Mmmmm.... It's that taste that reminds me of being a kid with my friends, running around in the grass and woods all summer, eating random things that we found in other people's gardens, growing on trees, or that my parents had picked from their garden.

It was really invigorating and seemed appropriate for Memorial Day weekend. It's really summer now. Go have a peach!