The Edge Effect

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Gazillions


Ok, I've come up with a new idea to make my gazillions. This one is really good and I think it's going to revolutionize an entire industry.

DVD cases.

Think of it. You check out a couple of DVDs, lose the receipt, watch one, then a few days pass. You want to watch the next one, but can't remember when it's due. D'oh! Should you renew it or can you just hang on to it for a couple of more days?

Wouldn't it be nice if your DVD had a sticker or some sort of stamp stating which day it was due? Sort of like the stamp in the front of books from the library. But if you were to stamp every DVD every time, you'd end up with an ugly stack of stickers. And the little library slip would rip off easily.

The answer seems to be some sort of resettable indicator on the DVD case itself. The DVD cases are already fairly complicated since they have those plastic locks that have to be released by the special machine before you can open them. So my plan is to create a new unlocking machine that includes an extra key that reaches into a slot on the case and sets a tab or dial or something into one of seven positions marked to represent the days of the week.

The unlocking/date-marking machine could either be set manually each morning by the video store staff or it could be on a timer to click over automatically each day.

Surely there are better, slicker, more hi-tech solutions, but this one seems quite simple and inexpensive. Not to mention effective. I'd certainly get use out of it.

I'm willing to sell the rights to this idea and even to collaborate in the design and marketing. Just make me an offer. I should be raking in the dough within the next couple of months I expect.